One of the worst separations – fractures that ever occurred was the separation – fracture that took place in US human beings!
In the Garden before the fall, we were whole. What we thought in our heads matched what we felt in our gut, the words we said fit with who we were, who we were on the inside matched what was seen on the outside, what we believed was what we lived out day by day.
Can you imagine?!?
But at the fall, we fractured ourselves, we broke ourselves into pieces. Uprooted from the garden, we made our dwelling a distant country where wholeness is no longer the norm. A place where…
- A man says he loves his wife but sneaks looks at other women.
- A woman strives to make herself look successful or beautiful, but on the inside she’s plagued by feelings of low self-worth.
- A young man asks a classmate to send him a nude selfie, and he has no idea deep down under his request, he’s searching for validation.
- A young woman in the teaching ministry shares God’s love with her students, but struggles to believe God loves her as she is.
- A pastor preaches about worshiping God but hungrily devours the compliments his sermon receives—in essence, bowing at the altar of the opinions of men.
If anything like these in this list strikes close to home for you, that’s bad news.
But all the more reason Christmas is good news for you. And me.
When Jesus became flesh, he united Himself for all time with us in our humanity. God who is One, God who is Life, God who is incorruptible, God who is Love, this God joins Himself with us. And through this union, we are healed.
The answer to our corrupted, disintegrated, sinful state is not found in striving to put ourselves together, but in welcoming Jesus (God In Flesh) into each broken, torn, polluted part of ourselves. … Read the rest